Banner Bottom ImageBanner Bottom Image

White Mountains Region


Cattle, and Sheep Ranching

The first ranchers who settled the Pinetop-Lakeside area included Will Amos, William Morgan, the Scott brothers, the West family, Jim Porter and a man named Warren.  There were no boundaries, so ranchers ran their cattle and sheep on the open range on public land and the Fort Apache reservation.

photo id: 357


Sometime in the late 1800s William "Billy" Scorse, an Englishman for whom Billy Creek is named, became the first permanent resident of Lakeside. 
He erected a building near the area where the Circle K now stands and ran the only store in town. Scorse grew hay and sold groceries but made the bulk of his living selling liquor to soldiers from Fort Apache at his "Last Chance Saloon."
He had forty acres on the creek and squatters rights to more land in town; this later became the downtown area of Lakeside. He died on March 24, 1933 in Wilmington, California.

photo id: 419

Milton Amos

Milton Amos was born in Kentucky between 1827 and 1830 and died between 1885 and 1887 in Arizona.

It is said that after he married his wife Allie, they started their life in Missouri and then migrated to Salinas, California and then to Roseburg, Oregon.During this time Milton was a Union soldior during the Civil War and is listed on census records as being a framer. 
In 1884 their eldest daughter,Josie, was to have been married, but she died in the same year. According to Della, another daughter, a few years later Milton pulled up stakes and moved to Arizona. 
According to family history, Milton, who was a heavy drinker, died in Holbrook soon after arriving in Arizona. 

photo id: 233

Allie Amos

Here is a picture of Alphidus "Allie" Fanny Willkinson who was born in Missouri on June 7,1841 and died in Arizona on March 20,1939. 

Some time between 1860-1862 she married Milton Amos from Kentucky. They lived in Missouri, Oregon, and California before finally settling in Arizona.

They later had seven children: William "Will" Nathanial, Josephine "Josie", George Washington, Abraham "Abe" Lincoln, Charles DIckens "Dick", Della, and Leonard "Len" Earl.

photo id: 232

Abe Amos Family

Early in 1894 Abraham "Abe" Amos met and married Belle Crook Cooley. Belle was the oldest daughter of noted Arizona pioneer Corydon Eliphalet "C. E." Cooley and his full-blood Apache wife, Mollie.

Abe and Belle met at a dance. Belle was dating a man named Colbath at the time, but quickly fell for the handsome young Abe Amos. When they were first married they lived at the old Welch place about where the Pinetop Country Club is now. From there they moved to Woodland. Their first two children were sons; Roy (born 1895) and Paul (born 1896) were small when they lived there.
To supplement their meals, Belle would shoot wild turkeys and hang the meat in a tree until needed. Bears would often steal the meat before it could be used.

photo id: 216

Abraham Lincoln Amos

It is said that one time Pinetop was to have a big party but the town had no liquor. The historian, Tom McGuire, wrote that Abe offered to ride to Holbrook on horseback and buy booze for everyone. The trip was done in one day, which to all the townsfolk was an unusual yet welcome surprise. 

Abe was also one to delight the children of the area.  He would use a pair of goats and a toy wagon to haul them through the streets. Abe went into the sheep ranching business and had a 160 acre ranch in Woodland (now part of Lakeside). 

photo id: 220

Belle Amos' House at Big Spring

Belle Amos was half Apache; she had long black hair and black eyes. Her father sent her to a boarding school in Santa Fe, New Mexico, where she received a good education. She spoke the Apache language just as fluently as English. She was good-natured and always seemed to have a happy disposition no matter what hardships she faced. 

When she was young she played the organ at the Cooley Ranch for the officers and dignitaries who would stay there.  She was also a telegraph operator for the Cooley Ranch when it was an official way station for the Army at Fort Apache.

She lived most of her married life on a ranch. She was alone with her children much of the time, while her husband Abe herded sheep. She was a hard worker and was always sweeping and cleaning. She would wash for the whole family using a washboard. She loved to pick wildflowers and kept a big bowl of flowers on the table in the living room. 
One of her prized possessions was an Edison Victrola that played music on the early wax cylinders. One of the songs she played on it was "The Moon Has Its Eyes On You” by Ada Jones from 1905. 

photo id: 223

Amos Children With Their Toys

Pictured here are the children of Paul and Merintha Amos. What follows is a story about their dad, Paul Amos, and their Uncle Jack and Grandpa Abe:  

Young Paulie and Jack Amos were driving their pickup truck down a forest road when they came upon their Grandpa Abe Amos riding a horse. After stopping to talk, it was decided that Abe would turn his horse loose and ride on with the boys.

After traveling a short distance they came upon a flock of wild turkeys crossing the road. As young boys will do, they sped up to scare the turkeys out of the way. The turkeys scattered and flew in all directions.

As one rather large bird flew by the passenger side of the truck, Abe quickly reached out and caught it in his hand. He then tossed it in the cab of the truck.Sixty-five years later, Paulie Amos still recalls with vivid clarity how that turkey nearly beat them all to death with its flapping wings.

photo id: 226

Earl West & Byde Amos at the West Hotel

Here we see Byde Amos and Earl West pictured with the West Hotel in the background.

In 1914 Ezra purchased land in Lakeside from John L. Fish and started to build a large home with the intention of using it as a hotel. The home was far from completed when the family moved in. Everyone had to pitch in and help until it was gradually finished.
Karl West designed the 19-room floor plan (possibly based on his grandfather’s home in Snowflake). It was a two-story building with nine bedrooms, one bath and a balcony upstairs; and four bedrooms, a bathroom, a kitchen, pantry, and two porches downstairs. There was also a large living room and dining room with a large fireplace. The family and hotel guests spent many memorable evenings singing and having get-togethers.  

photo id: 241

Samuel West

Samuel "Ezra” West and Julia West came to Woodland (now part of Lakeside) with their five children in 1897. Both Ezra and Julia were from noted Mormon pioneer families. Ezra’s father was John Anderson West of Snowflake and Julia’s father was Edmund Lovell Ellsworth of Show Low. The West and Ellsworth families first arrived in the White Mountains of Arizona in 1880 along with the influx of other early Mormon pioneers.
After getting married Ezra and Julia settled in Snowflake where Ezra’s father gave them land on which to build a one-room cabin. There they began their own sheep ranching business. Ezra learned the business from his father and had been tending his family's sheep since the age of nine.
Right from the start of their marriage Ezra had to spend a great deal of his time away from home herding the sheep. Even so, during the next 11 years five children were born to the West family. The children were Emma, Joe (Ezra Joseph), Karl, Ida, and Dena.

photo id: 246

Julia West

Ezra and Julia first met at a church meeting and eventually fell in love. She was 16 and he was 19 years old when they decided to get married in 1886.
In those days for Mormon couples to be married in the church, they had to travel by wagon to the nearest temple. In this case, the closest temple was in St. George, Utah. The road they traveled along to get there was known as the Honeymoon Trail.

Their daughter Dena was born in July of 1896. The family moved to Woodland (now part of Lakeside) when Dena was still a baby. They bought a 160-acre ranch from Abe Amos. Abe's daughter Elsie would one day marry Ezra's son Earl.  
The family all pitched in to help clear the stumps, trees and rocks from the land. Soon they were able to raise sheep, goats and cattle. While living here four more children were born: Lavern, Earl, Mary and Gwendolyn.    

photo id: 303

West Hotel

Here is the first and last hotel to operate in Lakeside. However, the town has now been incorporated to Pinetop-Lakeside, and you can now find several hotels in the Pinetop area.

In 1914 Ezra West purchased land in Lakeside from John L. Fish and started to build a large home with the intention of using it as a hotel. The home was far from completed when the family moved in, however. Everyone had to pitch in until it was gradually finished. Karl West designed the 19-room floor plan (possibly based on his grandfather’s home in Snowflake).

It was a two-story building with nine bedrooms, one bath and a balcony upstairs; and four bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen, pantry, and two porches downstairs. There was also a large living room and dining room with a large fireplace. These rooms were used by the family and guests for evenings of singing and playing games. The family spent many happy years running this hotel for travelers.

photo id: 102

Earl West's Home

The youngest West son, Earl, was given a corner lot in Lakeside to build himself a home. The old Woodland ranch was sold to their other son, Lavern. Earl West's home was beside the hotel where Glenn West grew up.

Joe "E. J." West was the family entrepreneur. He became a builder and store owner in Lakeside, Show Low, Snowflake and Taylor. He also owned construction companies in San Diego and Phoenix. At different times he was also in the dairy business, a rental business, and served as an executive of an insurance firm. During the 1930s and 1940s his Blue Moon Dance Hall and Cafe in Show Low was the number one place for entertainment in the White Mountains.

photo id: 104

Lakeside Outing

Early Lakeside settlers taking a break from their hard work.

photo id: 495

Neils Hansen Family

Pictured are Neils and Rosabel Gardner Hansen and their children. Neils S. Hansen was born in 1869 and died in 1933. Rosabel was born in 1875 and died in 1942. Considered the "Father and Mother of Lakeside", they purchased the Will Amos homestead upon coming to Lakeside in March 1906. They encouraged other families to move to Lakeside, too.

Neils previously built the orginal home for Amos for around $350. He made the adobe bricks for the home himself, which is still being lived in today. Their bunkhouse became Lakeside's first school. Neils was also a skilled ditch surveyor. He surveyed the irrigation ditch from Lakeside to Show Low. He was also an excellent farmer.

Rosabel, known to many as Aunt Belle, was the mother of eleven children. Twelve loaves of bread were baked each day and buckets of milk had to be strained in order to feed everyone. She brought music to Lakeside, teaching with the tuning fork.

Shown here are Erwin, Rosabel holding Charles, Don, George, Junius, Irma, Ernestine, Anna, Marion, and Neils.

photo id: 410

Walsh Mack

Walsh Mack owned and operated the Dew Drop Inn and later the Pinetop Buffet and Bar-B-Q. The Lions Den is now located there.

Walsh Mack was born in Franklin Parish, Louisiana on July 11, 1891. He came to McNary in the 1924 and worked for the Southwest Lumber Company. In 1938 he brought property from Mable Bowles, Thelma Axeline's grandmother. Mable Bowles was the only landowner willing to sell to an African-American couple. Some of the local people were enraged by the sale.
Not long after that their building was burned in an attempt to run them out of town. The Macks rebuilt and opened a small cafe with a barbecue business. Nine years later Walsh Mack and his wife had a grocery store, cafe, and liquor store that grossed $200,000 annually. 

photo id: 373

The John Washington Adair Family

John Washington Adair faced many sorrows in his life.  He burried his wife and 11 of his 12 children. The book entitled "The John Washington Adair Family : Descendants" recounts some of these tragic deaths and family events.

Thelma Glaydis, their baby, died during the flu epidemic of 1910. John Robin died while on summer vacation fighting a forest fire when a burning tree fell on him. Lloyd Edwin, born in 1904, drowned in a creek in 1948.

After John's wife Cynthia died on October 10,1951, it was only four short year later that the house burned down. John then moved in with his only child, Genevieve, who lived in Holbrook. John died in 1957.

photo id: 413

Three Pioneer Families

Pictured here are members of three pioneer families: The Cooley, Amos, and Pettis families.

A young Roy Corydon Amos is pictured here. Roy who was born April 23,1895 near Cooley's Ranch. He  was one of three of Abe's children to die prior to marriage. His untimely death occurred while walking out for supplies in winter on February 3,1939.

Not pictured are the two other Amos children who perished during childhood: Earl Logan Amos drowned at the age of 19, and George Amos died on February 8, 1909 at the age of four months. 

photo id: 229

Augusta Treat Larson

Augusta "Gussie" Treat Larson was born in Flagstaff, Arizona on February 6,1893. 
Gussie was a lifelong resident of Arizona whose formal education began in a private kindergarten at the age of two and a half.  By age eighteen she had earned a teaching degree and embarked on a teaching career that spanned for decades. 
In 1954, Augusta was appointed to the House of Representatives to serve out the unfinished term of her husband. She was subsequently elected for four more terms.

photo id: 339

Penrod Family

The grown children of David and Temperance Penrod: William Penrod, David Nephi Penrod, Amasa Lyman, Elizabeth Wall, and Temperance Evans.

William L. Penrod, one of David's sons, was born on January 27,1832 in Union County, Illinois. He moved to Utah in 1849 where he married Polly Ann Young. The couple had twelve children.

On October 26,1876 William and his wife were called by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to help colonize Northern Arizona.
They arrived in the White Mountains on December 31,1878 and camped in an old house belonging to a sheepherder.  
In the summer they moved to John Willis Ranch and looked after the cattle. He later moved his family to Juniper, now known as Linden, until the rumor of the Apaches causing an uprising made him move to Cooley ranch. This was the beginning of Cooley and Penrod's friendship.

photo id: 411

Sheep Dip Structure

This is a picture from the late 1800s of a sheep dip structure owned by the Jacques Family. It was located on Timber Mesa, southwest of Porter Mountain. 

The Spanish Conquistador Francisco de Coronado paved the way for the eventual colonization of the north.  Colonist brought horses and livestock.  Descendants of Spanish horses multiplied rapidly on the virgin grasslands of the West. In less than a century the Navajo and Apache became horse cultures. They dominated the Southwest and Northern Mexico during the 1700s and first half of the 1800s, taking captives and livestock to trade for more horses at the annual Taos trade fair.  Spanish colonist along the Rio Grande called them Lords of the Land.

photo id: 356

First Automobile in Lakeside

This was the first car in Lakeside. It was owned by Ezra West.
Pictured here in 1912:
Back row, left to right: Loretta "Retta" Hansen, Earl West, Lavern West, Gertrude Hansen, Mary Hansen Ellsworth, Lamar Ellsworth, Hans Hansen, Ezra West, Julia West. The two small girls in front are Mary West and Gwen West. 

photo id: 250

Old Post Office

John L. Fish bought out Billy Score's claim to Lakeside. He became Lakeside's first  postmaster in October 1906. He also served as Justice of the Peace for Lakeside. He donated property now owned by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, presently serving as the Pinetop- Lakeside Stake Center. He also donated the property one block south of there for the school, which later became the Town Hall, and where the Pinetop-Lakeside Historical Museum stands today.

photo id: 488

Charlie Clark's Restaurant

Jake's Cafe, which is now Charlie Clark's Restaurant, was developed when prohibition was repealed. Jake moved two log cabins together and opened a legitimate business "Jake Renfro's Famous Log Cabin Cafe."   
The story goes that there was an old wooden barrel under the barroom floor for his whiskey. It is also told that he brought in penny, nickel, dime, and quarter slot machines. Jake organized bands to play for dancing at the Log Cabins. Once in a while Sis got to entertain the customers by tap dancing.

Charlie Clark's Restaurant is still a popular spot in the White Mountains.  

photo id: 365

Charlie Clark

Charlie Clark came from Michigan where he had worked for Henry Ford. His wife, Bell Wilson, came from Ireland. They were married and had two children: Dolly (Crosby) and Buddy (Wise).

In 1938 Charlie bought Charlie Clark's Restaurant from Jake Renfro. After the death of Bell in 1936, he married Thelma Rungee Wetzell in 1942.

photo id: 372

Charlie Clarke's Daughter

Buddy Wise, one of Charlie Clarke's daughters, purchased Elaine's Dress Shop from Mildred Dysterheft. She divided the building so her sister could have half. That side was named Crosby's. In the late 2000's she sold the dress shop to the Baptist church.

photo id: 403

Pinetop School

In 1923-1924 a two-frame schoolhouse was built on the Pinetop school property. It housed grades 1-8. The high school students went to McNary High School. 

Originally students went to an old 1894 one-room log schoolhouse.  The new school was located in the area behind Eddie's Country Store. Eddie's is still standing in Pinetop today.
This new building was later moved to Blue Ridge where Edna Penrod began teaching. The two-room schoolhouse is now the Love Kitchen. Before she retired she had taught three generations of students.
In 1957 a new school with multiple classrooms and multipurpose rooms, an office, storage rooms and restrooms was completed.

photo id: 340

Webb Sawmill Crew

The Webb Sawmill Crew: Tom Frost, Karl Webb, Waldo Ray, Junius Webb, June Webb, Reece Webb, Fred McNeil, Jay Webb, and Ray Webb (kneeling) in the 1940s.

Two of the most noted families involved in sawmilling in the Lakeside area were the John L. Fish family, who moved to Lakeside in the early 1900s, and the J. H. Webb family, who settled in the area in the 1920s.

photo id: 414

School & Meeting House

The school and meeting house in Lakeside Arizona.

photo id: 486

School Children in Lakeside

Students from the 3rd and 4th grades in front of their school in 1954-1955. This building is still standing in Lakeside and is occupied by the Pinetop-Lakeside Historical Museum.

Students standing from left to right are: Viola Hansen, Patty Frost, Grace Jackson, Cheryl Penrod, Sheila Jackson, Mary Ann Creswell, Lerian Lee, Beverly Penrod, Tommy Rhoton, Janet Heldt, Wesley Burke, Ricky Johnson, Stephen Penrod, David Gillespie, Lanny Johnson, Lanny Witt, Vivian Lewis, Lucille Clarkson, Cliff (Hoopie) Frost

Sitting left to right are: Dosea Webb, Iden Webb, Inez Prather, Bertha Clarkson.

photo id: 341

Pine Cone Garage and Grocery

Right next to the house/hotel in Lakeside a store was built by Joe West. The store was operated for many years by the West brothers at different times: Ezra, Karl, Joe and Lavern. This store was called the Pine Cone Garage and Grocery. Food, gas, and a little bit of everything else was sold there.
The West family also planted an orchard near the hotel. They would always have plentiful crops of apples, peaches, crab apples, plums, and gooseberries. They also had wonderful gardens there.
Four cabins were also built on the property to be used as rental units.

photo id: 484

Bowery Church Meeting

From 1910 to 1913, before the church building was built, the early Latter-day Saints pioneers would meet outside under this shady area they had built.  People from Taylor, Snowflake, and the surrounding areas would attend. This location today is on the corner of Fish and Church lane in Lakeside.

photo id: 490

Lakeside Chapel

Hidden among tall trees is the beautiful Lakeside Chapel.

photo id: 487


During the 1920's a group of Lakeside residents operated an asbestos mine in the Salt River Canyon. At that time there was no road into the canyon. The miners loaded the ore into gunny sacks and hauled them out on the backs of mules.
Two of the men depicted in this photo are: Daniel McNeil (sitting, 2nd from the left) and Abe Johnson (standing, third from left).

photo id: 409

Wallace Hunt Larson

Here we see Wallace Hunt Larson in 1950. He was born in Snowflake on May 22, 1887. 
He earned his education the hard way and then devoted his life to the education of the young people in his community of Lakeside. He worked for the general improvemnet of living conditions in all of Northeastern Arizona. 
Over the years, he served at various times as Justice of the Peace, county recorder, deputy sheriff, and district game ranger. He was also in the cattle business. In 1952 he was elected to the State Legislature for Navajo County and was reelected the following year. 
On June 20,1954 after working for 18 hours straight, he suffered a fatal heart attack.  His wife, Augusta, was appointed as his successor. 

photo id: 338

Elaine's Dress Shop

In 1952 Mildred bought Elaine's Dress Shop in Pinetop from Phyllis "Elaine" Dowd. Later she had a new Elaine's built. She had fashion shows and local women would model the latest fashions. She could not keep enough clothes on the racks. Elaine's is now owned by Buddy Wise.

In 1971 Mildred started selling real estate for Pearl Penrod Reality. Later she obtained her broker's license. She owned D&H Realtors and a beauty shop that was in the same building. The "D" was for Dysterheft and the "H" was for Lyle Hanna.  

photo id: 390

Scott Reservoir

In November 1915 surveys and water rights were filed by Show Low Irrigation Company for Rainbow Lake and Scott Reservoir.

In July 1997 Show Low Irrigation Company merged with Pinetop and Woodland Irrigation Company.

photo id: 434

Pioneer Home

A pioneer home in the Pinetop-Lakeside area with the owner standing in front. 

photo id: 975

Hansen Home

Gus Hansen's house. 

photo id: 976

Riley Gardner Home

The home of Riley Gardner. 

photo id: 977

Gus Hansen's Ranch

Cattle graze at Gus Hansen's ranch. 
According to the 1940 US Census, Gus Hansen was born around 1914. He was the son of Augusta and Lydia De Hansen.

photo id: 978

Hans Hansen's Home

photo id: 979

Bish Home

photo id: 980


Children pose with an early automobile. 

photo id: 981

Springer Cabin

photo id: 982

Store Front

Caldwell Tyner Augustus and his wife Eugenia Arthurdale Hasselblad by their store front. 

Augustus lived from 1887 to 1957 and is buried in the Lakeside Cemetery. He married Eugenia in 1917 and they had seven children. 

photo id: 983


photo id: 984

photo id: 985

photo id: 986

photo id: 987

Young Child

photo id: 988

Fire Truck

A GMC fire truck in 1956. 

photo id: 989

School Bus

Children pose in front of the first school bus in Lakeside, circa 1937. 

photo id: 990

Ruby Potter

Ruby Potter was the first teacher in Lakeside. She dated John Elam Fish. 

photo id: 991

Ruby Potter

Teacher Ruby Potter and beau Dale FIsh on horseback. 

photo id: 992

Ruby Potter and Students

Students pose with their teacher, Ruby Potter, who was the first teacher at the Lakeside school. 

photo id: 993

John L Fish

photo id: 994

John Fish & Julia Tanner

photo id: 995

photo id: 998

photo id: 999

Hans Hansen

This photo of Hans Hansen was taken in 1902. 
Hans Hansen Jr was born in 1862 and moved to Arizona at the age of 12. He lived in Lakeside for 60 years and worked as a farmer. His wife was Loretta Elsworth Hansen. They had three children: Gertrude, Mary, and Metta Katrina. He died in 1953.

photo id: 1000

The Hansens

John Heber Hansen (1859-1945) and his wife Emily Hansen. 

photo id: 1001

John Hansen

John Heber Hansen in 1901. 

photo id: 1002


Gus Hansen's homestead. 

photo id: 1003

Jacques House

photo id: 1004

Louis Johnson

photo id: 1005

Johnson Homestead

Louis Johnson's homestead. 

photo id: 1006

Theresa Johnson

Theresa Flake Johnson in 1933. 

photo id: 1007

Julia Fish Russell

Julia FIsh Russell with her mother and siblings. Pictured are Julia, Hamilton Murray Fish, Eva Fish, mother Melvina Cheney Fish, and Karl Joseph Fish. 

photo id: 1008


Julia Fish Russell and some of her siblings. 

photo id: 1009

Fish Home

Julia Tanner Fish, John Fish, and Hamilton Fish at their home in Lakeside.

photo id: 1010


June Moon Stagecoach. 

photo id: 1011


The Lakeside Highway in November of 1949. 

photo id: 1012

Main Street

An undated photograph of Lakeside's Main Street. 

photo id: 1013

Alof and Margaret Larson

Alof Pratt Larson and Margaret Smith on their wedding day: June 1st, 1904. 
Alof was born in 1883 and Margaret in 1884.

photo id: 1014

Larson Home

W.H. Larson's log home.

photo id: 1015

Lison Bee

The Lisonbee Busy Bee. 

photo id: 1016


Main Street

This 1945 photograph, shows where today, in the twentieth century, you can find the Show Low Historical Society Museum. You are facing as if ready to drive to Springerville Arizona.

Back when this photo was taken you would have to drive to Springerville, Globe, St. Johns, or Holbrook to purchase your new Ford or Chevrolet. Today there are many popular car dealers in Show Low.

photo id: 198

Aerial View of Show Low

Here we see an aerial view of Show Low taken in the early 1950's.

The beautifully lush cattle lands in Show Low are similar to what you will find today. This is mainly due to many of the pioneer families descendants retaining ownership of their ancestral lands. You can still see well bred horses and cattle grazing in their pastures.

photo id: 195

Show Low Creek Bridge

The Bridge across Show Low Creek in 1923.
(USFS Photo)

photo id: 706

Fishing in the White Mountains

In what appears to be twin Buicks, these 1918 adventurers head out with a tent in the back seat of the front car and a doggie riding shotgun in the back car. Traveling through the mountains often requires navigating difficult terrain.

photo id: 573

Show Low Lake

Show Low Lake was originally created in 1951 when Phelps Dodge, one of Arizona's mining giants, purchased a parcel of land near Show Low. At the time, the company needed an additional source of water for its Morenci operation. A dam was built and the water impounded there soon became known as Show Low Lake.

Show Low had an agreement in place dating March of 1954 stating that upon Phelps Dodge abandonment of Show Low Lake, the water rights would transfer to the Show Low Irrigation Company and the City of Show Low. This event ultimately took place on June 29, 2005.

photo id: 432

Show Low Lake

Show Low Lake has 100 surface acres with an average depth of 33 feet and maximum depth of 50 feet. It’s situated at an elevation of 6,500 feet.

photo id: 433

The Adams Family

Pictured here are the children of Edward Frank Adams and his wife Mettie Christina Adams.

Chester Frank Adams was born August 2,1923.  He joined his father's family of 6 children: May, Jane, Alice, Gladys, John, and Rose. His parents had 7 more children: Leonard, Chester, Mettie, Georgia, Glen, Harvey,and Shirley.

photo id: 435

Mary Vance Adair

The settlement of Adair was founded by Wesley Adair and his brother Thomas Jefferson Adair Jr, along with Thomas' wife Mary Vance Adair. The tiny town of Adair no longer exists. It was covered by Fool Hollow Lake and remains underwater.  

Wesley and Thomas were sons of Thomas Jefferson Adair and Rebecca Brown. Wesley was a member of Company C of the Mormon Battalion, the only religiously based unit in United States military history. This volunteer unit served from July 1846 to July 1847 during the Mexican-American War.  

Mary Vance was the daughter of Adam Vance and Catherine Penrod.

photo id: 436

Adair or Adairville

Adair, or Adairville, was a Mormon settlement established in 1878 in what was then Apache County of Arizona Territory. It was located three miles northwest of Show Low.  This area became Navajo County on March 21, 1895.  Arizona officially became a state on February 14, 1912.
Pictured here are members of the Adair family, who were founding members of the town named after them.

photo id: 437

The Adair Family

The Adair family built a home about a quarter of a mile from Show Low Creek. Soon other families came and settled on the hills and in the valleys. It was beautiful country but had a limited supply of water. The settlers cleared the grounds and grew corn and sugar cane taller than a man. They also grew wheat, beans, and other vegetables.

Many of the Adairs and other families left the area and moved to Show Low and surrounding regions. Aaron Adair remained in the area for some years and was told "nobody but a fool would try to make a living there."  The settlement was renamed "Fool Hollow", and is now the location of Fool Hollow Lake.

photo id: 438

Adair Cemetery

Today all traces of the town of Adair are gone, except for this cemetery. The cemetery is located in Show Low, about one mile east of Fools Hollow Lake, at the end of 22nd Avenue and Old Linden Road. It is now private property and you must have permission to visit.

Etta Colvin, who died of Small Pox, was the first person to be buried at Adair Cemetery in February 1883. The cemetery was fenced by the Show Low Ward on March 13, 1923. John Lorenzo Willis was Bishop and leader of this project.

Today you can find a glass case with an alphabetical list of the names ,birth dates, and death dates of those buried there. This is thanks to the many descendants of the deceased.

photo id: 439

Midway Cafe

One of the first cafes in Show Low along the newly constructed Highway 60 was owned and operated by George and Lillie Woolford. They also sold a few groceries and other merchandise. There were two gas pumps to fill tanks of tourist and town automobiles, but not with the convenience of today. These pumps had to be refilled by pushing the lever back and forth until the gas could be seen through the glass at the top of the pump.

Lillie served generous meals to her customers. She always made sure there were no children left in cars while the parents sat at the table or counter, and if there were, she took them something to eat. She gave away more than she sold.

photo id: 441

Baca, Huning & Cooley

Pictured here are Donico Baca, Henry Huning, and Corydon Cooley. 

After Henry Huning purchased Corydon Cooley's Ranch in 1888, he attempted to extend his empire by fencing North and East of the Show Low Valley. In 1901 the railroad contested his rights.

Legend has it that Cooley was married to two of Apache Chief Pedro's daughters at one time. 

photo id: 174

Naming Show Low

The settlement of Show Low was too small for its first two residents, Corydon Cooley and Marion Clark. 

Legend says they played a card game to determine which of them would stay. The loser had to leave town and settle elsewhere. Towards the end of the game Cooley needed just one point to win. Clark turned his cards over and said,"If you can show low you win." Cooley threw down his hand of cards and said "show low it is.' And thus the name Show Low was born.

The Post Office of Show Low was established August 19, 1880.

photo id: 182

First Son Fredric

Pictured here is one of the sons of Corydon E. Cooley of Fort Apache. Corydon "C.E." Cooley sent his sons, Fredric and Charlie, to a boarding school in New Mexico. Cooley transported the boys as well as many other White Mountain Apache children to the boarding school himself.

A few weeks later Fredric contracted measles, which turned into pneumonia. He died before the family could be notified of his illness.

Lillie, Fredric's sister, said that their mother, Mollie, took Fredric's death really hard. For a long time she would go to where Fredric used to hang his coat at home and run her hands over it and cry. Lillie said that Mollie mourned him for a long time.

photo id: 183

Eb Lewis With Friends

Elbert "Eb" Lewis owned a secondhand store, and was known for his outlandish floats in the annual 4th of July parades. He enjoyed figuring out how to make a Maytag or bathtub run down the street. The people of Show low enjoyed watching for his latest float designs.
The parade of 1992 was a hard one for Eb. He wanted to be in it was feeling poorly. He had participated in Show Low parades for many years. He stayed home that year, and passsed away the following September. He was 60 years old. 

photo id: 185

You Want It - I Got It!

Eb Lewis was one of Show Low's best known and respected citizens. He owned and operated the Cash n' Carry antique store for almost 30 years.
If you asked Eb for something he would go right to his piles of treasure and pull it out. Residents have remarked that if Eb Lewis didn't have it, he would always get it for you!

photo id: 186

The Lion Slayed with a Spear

This is an actual lion slain by Eb Lewis with his spear.
Eb had many hobbies throughout the years. He was a great hunter in his younger days. He also enjoyed scuba diving, flying, rock collecting and cutting, silver-smiting, painting, wood-turning, Dutch oven cooking and stained glass. 

photo id: 187

Eb Lewis in the Cash and Carry

Here is another article regarding Eb Lewis and his store the Cash & Carry. You can tell by looking at the photo that his store was overflowing with merchandise.

One of things Eb was most famous for was his soapbox car made from a Maytag washing machine. Imagine seeing him ride down the Deuce Of Clubs (the main street in Show Low) stopping every so often to pop his head out of the machine to say hello!

photo id: 188

Two-Headed Goose

This photo of the "Two Headed Goose" was one Eb Lewis' favorites, and illustrates his creativity and sense of humor. He waited until two geese were standing just right and snapped the picture, making it appear that the front goose had two heads.

photo id: 191

Deuce Of Clubs

This Show Low road is called The Deuce Of Clubs. The intersection you see is the corner of White Mountain Boulevard. Today the Shell gas station is the Branding Iron restaurant. 

The 1940's and 1950's brought about major developments in Show Low. Many local business opened. A post office was opened on Old Linden, which was the old Tanner's Variety. 

The town was very popular for many commercial truck lines. This was prior to Interstate 40 opening. Truck drivers enjoyed the comfort of having homecooked meals in a family environment with people who recognized and knew them by name. You can still feel that small town appeal when visiting the town today.

photo id: 194

Show Low's Snow

This picture was taken on Huning Street looking to the east towards White Mountain Boulevard. It was taken in the mid or late 1930s.

photo id: 197

Emma Adams

photo id: 200

The Old Church

The old church in Show Low was originally planned as a school. It was used for many activities, even the wedding dance of Katie Pearl Adams & Roy Penrod on July 21,1911.It was later torn down and the building materials were used for other buildings.

Today there is a new church on the site. It was dedicated in 1953 and is known as the Downtown Chapel.

photo id: 202

The Navapache Hospital

Over 1000 people attended the dedication of the new Navapache District Hospital on September 27,1970.

The Board of Directors of the Navapache Hospital District responsible for the completion and for the hospital's operation were:

A. C. Hunt - Chairman - Pinetop
C. A. Norquist - Secretary - Lakeside
David Foil - Vice Chairman - Show Low
Reed Hatch - Member - Taylor
Lee McCray - Member - Snowflake

In 1970, Dr. Dysterheft of Show Low became the Chief of Staff at the hospital he had dreamed of and worked so hard to create.

photo id: 395

Navapache Hospital Dedication

Names you might recognize for their accomplishments in Arizona attended the hospital dedication and to pay tribute to Dr. Arnold H. Dysterheft (far right). 
Pictured here from left to right: Joseph T. Prekup, administrator of St Luke's Hospital Medical Center in Phoenix; Dr. Merlin K. Duval, Tucson, Dean of Medical College at University of Arizona; Stephen M. Moris, President of Samaritan Health  Services, Phoenix; A.C. Hunt McNary, Chairman of the board of the new hospital; and Dr. Arnold H. Dysterheft.

photo id: 397

Chester Frank Adams

Chester "Chet" Frank Adams, born in 1923, grew up on the east side of Show Low Creek.  When he was 10 he moved to where Show Low Lake is now. When Chet was old enough for high school, he rode the bus to Snowflake Union High School. It was here that he met his future wife, Clea Pearce. They were married in 1943

Chet built a home for them in Show Low, and this was where they had their four children. Charlotte who was born in 1946, Beverly in 1948, Chester Trent in 1953, and Farrell Edward in 1957. They also raised a foster child, a Navajo boy named Norman Bryant, for eight years. All of Chet's children graduated from Brigham Young University. Chet was a farmer, but also served in church and community organizations. Chet passed away in 2010.

photo id: 424


Cooley's Hired Hands

Corydon Eliphalet Cooley was born in 1836 in Virgina and at the age of 20 came out West to find gold and adventure.  It is said that he failed to find gold; but, he certainly had plenty of tales of his journey and his wild adventures. During the Civil War he joined the Union Army and fought Confederate forces in New Mexico. 

Cooley and his family established a ranch near what would later become Show Low.  Pictured here are some of his hired help. From left to right are Roy Amos, Charley Cooley, McBride, Charley Faught, Charlie Pettis and Diddy Pettis.

photo id: 100

Grazing Cattle

Cattle grazing on a summer range (USFS Photo) in 1937.  Monsoon rains bring lush growth of grass for grazing in the many broad meadows in the White Mountains. 

Today, cattle still graze in these mountains. They often share their range with hundreds of elk.  

photo id: 671

Turkeys, Pigs, and Geese

Turkeys, pigs and geese, where just a few of the animals in Dr. Dysterheft's life and heart. He loved to spend his days tending to the farm.  He also had chickens, pheasants, peacocks, guineas, ducks, and cattle. He grew vegetables and planted an orchard with apples, pears, and peaches.  The work was very relaxing for him and reminded him of his farm in Minnesota.

photo id: 386

Dr. Dysterheft's Cattle

Dr. Dysterheft had many Herefords which were given to him by a friend.  You could see him moving his cattle from one pasture to another so they could graze. One of these pastures, located across the highway where the Maverick Center is now, was called Dr. D's Meadow. 

Whenever there was a snowstorm or heavy rain, before Highway 260 was built, people would use the meadow as a landmark.

photo id: 387


Timber Cruisers

As the Forest was opened up to logging operations, timber "cruisers” and forest surveyors helped evaluate timber stands. Pictured here is a timber reconnaissance party in camp in 1910.  
(USFS Photo)

photo id: 699

McNary Sawmill

The McNary sawmill in 1918. From this humble beginning the mill and the town grew to dominate the region until the 1950s.

photo id: 654

McNary Sawmill

The McNary Sawmill quickly outgrew their original 1918 building. This building was added to house the new mill equipment.  

photo id: 653


By the 1930s McNary was booming. It was the largest town in the region and had the biggest payroll. 

photo id: 650


Main street McNary in 1949. The hospital is at the right with the Cady Lumber offices behind it and the movie theater at the far end of the street. In-between was "The Merchantile” store. For many years it was the largest and most fully stocked store in the region, and a shopping destination for everybody. Some of the old timers have fond memories of early days in the store. 

photo id: 657

Old Growth Trees

The logging industry came to the White Mountains in the early 1900s. Entrepreneurs took advantage of the massive stands of old growth pine and fir in the area.

photo id: 659

Logs on Apache Railway

Pictured here are larege logs being transported from the cutting areas around Big Lake, where they were loaded onto the Apache Railway train for transport. It is likely that they were headed to the McNary Mill.

The Apache Railway (APA) was incorporated on September 5, 1917. Grading for the APA began on October 1 and by March 1918 the rails were being laid. One year later, on September 6, 1918, the track reached Snowflake. The railroad continued building south from Snowflake and reached McNary on April 5, 1919.

Construction of the entire 72-mile (116 km) line from Holbrook to McNary was completed on July 1, 1920, and the APA was listed as a class II railroad common carrier.

photo id: 111

Apache Railway

The Apache Railway operated from Holbrook to the McNary Lumber Mill, with extensions to Standard and Maverick. During the early days there were also extensions to timber strands in the forest. Remains of the old rail beds are used today as hiking trails.

photo id: 645

Shingle Mill

Pratt Larson and Budge Elliott running an early shingle mill. Shingles were in constant demand for roofing and siding. The mill had a large horizontal circular saw blade. Large blocks of wood were passed over it to slice off shingles. The shingle mill was notorious for its ever-present danger of slicing off a finger.

photo id: 649

Loading Logs

Logs being loaded onto railway cars in 1922. Short "spur” lines were extended into forest tracts to haul logs to the mill at McNary.
(USFS photo)

photo id: 666

Loading Logs

Loading logs on a Southwest Lumber Company sale in 1950.
(USFS Photo)

photo id: 673

Trucking Logs

Trucking logs to a sawmill in 1937. 
In addition to the big mill at McNary, there were many smaller operations and small sawmills scattered throughout the region.

photo id: 694

Using Horsepower

In the early days of logging limited equipment was available in the forest. Horses were often used to load logs onto trucks.

photo id: 662

Applying Cinders

1924 – Applying cinders to a Forest Service road in 1924.
Cinders are abundant in the White Mountains. Many hills are ancient cinder cones. Cinders continue to be a choice method of creating all-season roads in an area with heavy clay soils. 
(USFS Photo)

photo id: 700


Maverick was a tiny logging community nestled between two hills high in the White Mountains. It was built in 1947 and was 68 miles southeast of McNary in the White Mountain Apache Indian Reservation. The town had an altitude of 7800 feet. It was owned by Southwest Forest Industries, and provided nearly all the lumber used in Arizona.

The logging town became known as the "Ice Box" of Arizona.  Residents could always count on the temperatures being below zero in the winter months. On December 18, 1954 the mercury dropped to 40 degrees below zero. The residents were so used to the sub zero temperatures that when the thermometers rose to 20 above they would joke and call it a "Hot Spell".

At one point Maverick had 500 residents, and like McNary, housing was segregated. The little community included a company store, a schoolhouse, a tiny post office, a church, and a maintenance shop for logging equipment.

In 1967 the high cost of shipping the logs by rail was given as the reason by Southwest Forestry Industries for abandoning Maverick.  The 20 years of operations at Maverick came to a close. During its 20 years of operations, Maverick became a legend.

photo id: 493

Graham Truck

A Graham truck hauls lumber from the sawmill at Woodland Dam.
The Graham Brothers, Joseph B. Graham and Robert C. Graham, along with Canadian-born Ray Austin, were responsible for the developmental growth modification kits for the Ford Model T and TT's trucks. This eventually led to the brothers branding and developing their own trucks.Dodge purchased the Graham Brothers truck firm in 1925 and the Graham brothers took on executive positions at Dodge. Chrysler took over Dodge in 1928, and the Graham Brothers brand lasted until 1929.

photo id: 98

Lookout Tower

Fire was an ever-present danger. Fire lookout towers like this one on Springer Mountain north of Lakeside were manned constantly during the summer to spot fires and direct firefighting efforts. 
Lightning strikes from the summer monsoon storms remain a leading cause of forest wildfires in Arizona.

photo id: 647

Fire Lookout Tower

The Dutch Joe fire lookout tower in 1948.
(USFS Photo)

photo id: 701

Greene's Peak

Greene’s Peak fire tower and range station in 1942.
(USFS Photo)

photo id: 698


A Big Lake fire lookout locating a fire by triangulation in 1939.
(USFS Photo)

photo id: 695

Fire Watcher

If watchers in the fire lookout towers spotted any plume of smoke they would report the direction and rough distance. If two watchers could sight the same smoke, the intersection of their sight lines gave a precise map location and fire fighters were immediately dispatched to the location.
This 1939 photograph is of Burr Webb reporting his sights through the Osborne fire-finder.
(USFS Photo)

photo id: 669

Running Phone Line

Telephone line under construction in 1913. Early lines were strung from tree to tree where possible. Those "tree runs” allowed for fast and low cost extensions of service to rural areas in the White Mountains.
(USFS Photo)

photo id: 704

Camp Reidhead

Camp Reidhead on the Rim Road in 1932. Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camps offered welcome employment building forest roads and campgrounds. 
(USFS Photo)

photo id: 703

Early Road Grader

Building a road in 1937.
Dirt roads require constant maintenance. The road grader (pulled by a tractor) has been replaced in modern days with the self-propelled motor grader. Hydraulics now make the job of constantly adjusting the grader much easier.
(USFS Photo)

photo id: 702

Juniper Control

Juniper control operations near Show Low in 1957.
 Show Low began booming in the late 1950’s. Tthere was constant demand to turn juniper-studded hills into housing tracts.
(USFS Photo)

photo id: 674

Crescent Lake

Building Crescent Lake dam in1939.  
(USFS Photo)

photo id: 705


The US Forest Service planting new trees after a 1957 wildfire. This practice continues today: after a major wildfire, the Forest Service will enter the burned area to begin restoring growth.
(USFS Photo)

photo id: 697


photo id: 996